If you have neck pain and have nausea too, the chances are that it is associated. There are several conditions that can cause you to suffer from both nausea and neck pain. There are several ways to get relief from these issues.
Conditions That Can Cause Neck Pain and Nausea
There are several conditions that will present with these symptoms. These conditions include:
• Vestibular conditions. Things like Meniere’s disease and other vestibular conditions can cause both neck pain and nausea. The vestibular system controls your balance, and when that system is off, it can make you feel dizzy and queasy.
• Neurological conditions. Fibromyalgia, migraines, and other nerve conditions can cause both of the symptoms. Neck pain and nausea are two very common migraine symptoms. At least 75% of migraine sufferers will experience neck pain and nausea.
Preventing Neck Pain
One of the best ways to ensure that you do not have neck pain is to keep your neck healthy.
Keeping your neck healthy is easy if you do the following:
• Exercise. Exercise will help to ensure that your neck is healthy. Exercising will help you to maintain your body weight. When you are too heavy, it can put a strain on your spine, and that includes your neck. When you exercise, you are also strengthening your core and other muscles. Having strong muscles can help to prevent neck pain.
• Posture. When you have poor posture, it can result in misalignment of the spine. You can also deal with repetitive motion injuries and increased stress on the spine and neck. You should pay close attention to your posture when you are working at a desk, driving, or using your mobile device. When you look down to view your smart device, you are putting five times the weight on your neck than when you sit with proper posture. Make sure that you work on your posture throughout the day.
• Nutrition. Nutrition is imperative in preventing neck pain. Having proper nutrition will help you have a healthy body weight. Eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties are excellent for your health and can help you to avoid neck pain and nausea.
How To Treat Neck Pain
If you already suffer from neck pain, there are several all-natural ways that you can help to alleviate that pain.
• Massage. Massage can help to encourage healing by improving blood flow.
• Activity. When you have neck pain, you may want to sit or lay down until the pain has passed. Living a sedentary lifestyle can actually make the pain worse. Small exercises like walking or stretching can help to alleviate pain.
• Ice. When you are in pain, you will have inflammation. Ice is great at reducing inflammation. Make sure that you protect your skin and place ice on your neck several times a day.
• Heat. Using a heating pad can help to relax muscles that are tight. This can help to minimize your pain and reduce inflammation. You can get the most benefits by alternating between heat and ice.
Making An Appointment With A Chiropractor
One of the best things that you can do if you suffer from neck pain and nausea is to make an appointment with a chiropractor. A chiropractor can help to determine the cause of your neck pain. For example, if your neck is misaligned, you will need to get it realigned. No matter how much self-care treatment you do, the pain will still be there because your spine is not aligned correctly.
At your first appointment for neck pain, you will be given an exam, and you will get some x-rays. The chiropractor will look to find the problem of your neck pain. If your neck is out of alignment, they will do adjustments to correct the problem. If the problem is severe, several adjustments may need to be done to help cure the neck pain. The chiropractor will also work with you to make lifestyle changes, postural correction, supplement taking, and more.
It is a good idea to keep going to the chiropractor regularly, even after your neck pain has subsided. This is especially true if the root cause of your pain is something like migraines. They can help to ensure that your health is where it should be and that you have no further issues with any kind of pain.
If you need a chiropractor in the Birmingham, Alabama area, please call Integrative Chiropractic Center today. They treat neck pain, scoliosis, whiplash, and other conditions. Their friendly staff will make you an appointment and get you in quickly to help alleviate all of your neck pain. Call us at 205-637-1363.