Headaches can be quite debilitating and can lead to you not being able to sleep and work. There are many different treatment options to help alleviate the pain of a headache. Treatment options include medications, behavioral changes, and situational changes. However, these treatment options might not always work for your headache.
Chiropractors are an excellent choice for those who are suffering from headaches. Often, headaches may be caused by spinal pressure that is referring to the head area. Chiropractors can relieve this type of headache as well as any other type of headache.
When you go to the chiropractor, you will be able to access all-natural pain relief. Relying on medications for any pain can be dangerous. Harsh side effects and even the risk of heart attack or death can make you not want to take any medication. Chiropractic care has been around for many years and has helped many people be pain-free.
Types of headache
The three main types of headache are:
- Cervicogenic headache. This type of headache is found to be caused by the neck or spine area. While the pain is felt in the face or head, it is generally referred pain. These types of headaches are commonly seen in families with a history of issues with headaches.
- Tension headache. Tension headache feels like a band wrapped around your head.
- Migraines. Migraines are commonly found on one side of the head. Migraine sufferers usually develop sensitivity to light, sound, and nausea.
How Chiropractors Help
When you go into your chiropractic appointment, he or she will take a look at your overall health. He or she will check your spine and your neck for issues that may be causing a headache. They will be able to give you treatment options that may help lower the pressure in your spine and help to treat any issues that you are having in addition to headaches. The treatment options you may see include:
- Manual therapy. This includes what is known as cracking of your back and joints. This can help to alleviate pressure in your neck and spine
- Soft tissue therapy. Soft tissue therapy can significantly reduce the pressure points in your body. If the headache is referred pain, this can significantly help.
- Electric stimulation. Electric stimulation can help to aid in nerve issues. If your headache is caused by a nerve issue in your neck or spine, electric stimulation can alleviate this.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture has been proven to help headaches and many other ailments of the body. Acupuncture can help to define pressure points and help to alleviate these pressure points.
- Ultrasound. Ultrasound technology has been shown to help alleviate pain in the areas of the body. Your chiropractor will go over your issues to see if an ultrasound will help.
- Lifestyle changes. Your chiropractor will be able to give you some lifestyle changes to improve your overall health. Changing your diet will help to mitigate the risk of headaches. For some people, triggers include food. Posture can also have a large effect on having headaches. Your chiropractor will teach you how to have proper posture to ensure that your headaches are managed. He or she will also recommend exercises and stretches that will greatly benefit you as well.
- Referrals. If your condition is something the chiropractor feels you need to see a different doctor for, they will be able to refer you to the doctor. The chiropractor will do this if you are suffering from severe headaches that do not respond well to treatment. Or you have an issue with your spine that needs to be seen by a surgeon
- Co-management. If you have a condition that requires a regular doctor’s help, like a surgeon, your chiropractor will work with them to comanage whatever issue you are having. For example, if you have a problem with your spine that needs surgery, your chiropractor will work closely with your doctor to help you recover.
Anytime you are in pain, you want to take it seriously. This includes pain from headaches and pain in your back. If you are suffering from any kind of pain, you want to make an appointment today. Seeking proper attention for your ailments will help you to ensure that they do not worsen and become a bigger problem. Our chiropractic offices are here to help you to take care of your headaches and any other issues you may have. Give us a call today at 205-637-1363 so we can make an appointment for you.